Minnesota Attorneys Advocate for Fair Child Support Orders

Dedicated to helping custodial and noncustodial parents in central Minnesota

Founded in 1892, Anderson Larson has a long tradition of providing quality legal services at an affordable price. Located in Willmar, Minnesota, our lawyers take a team approach to each child support case to seek the best possible outcome. At Anderson Larson, you can expect personal, caring attention from compassionate attorneys.

How do I file for child support?

Child support is typically ordered in a divorce decree in cases involving children or as part of a custody order in separate custody proceedings. If you and your partner were not married and you seek child support, you must initiate a request in court.

Paternity can be established by the court or by both parents voluntarily executing a recognition of parentage. If you have been sued for child support, but are not the father, the child support action against you is not viable, unless paternity or legal parenthood has been established.

A nonparent with legal custody may be able to pursue child support from one or both of the child’s parents.

How much do I have to pay for child support in Minnesota?

Child support varies depending on each case. In Minnesota, the amount is determined according to state guidelines, with consideration of a number of factors:

  • The earnings, income and resources of both parents
  • The extraordinary financial needs and resources and the physical and emotional condition of the child
  • The child’s living standard if the parents were living together
  • Whether the child has resided in a foreign country for more than one year that has a substantially higher or lower cost of living than this country
  • Who gets the dependent income tax exemption
  • The parents’ debts
  • The obligator’s total payments for court-ordered child support

These factors are important, because child support is meant to assist with the cost of living for minor children, including the costs of medical support, work-related childcare and educational costs.

When are my child support payments going to end?

Typically, child support ends when a child reaches 18 years of age. In some cases, parents may agree to continue child support payments, perhaps for the child’s college education. Support for a child with mental or physical handicaps can continue indefinitely depending on the severity of the condition.

How can I change my child support payments?

A request for modification of the support amount involves filing a petition with the court. Minnesota courts may consider changing child support if the parent requesting the modification can show a significant change in circumstances, such as:

  • There is a change of at least 20 percent in the payer’s gross income.
  • There is a change in the number of joint children being supported.
  • A parent or other child custodian starts receiving public assistance.
  • There is a material change in childcare costs.
  • There is a change in availability of medical or dental coverage.
  • A joint child becomes disabled.
  • Both parties agree to modify the order.

If you believe your circumstances may make you eligible for a child support modification, an experienced child support lawyer can help. The attorneys at Anderson Larson are very familiar with central Minnesota courts and can evaluate your grounds for modification.

Is there a way to enforce child support payments?

Since child support is court ordered, it has to be paid regardless of visitation or other custody issues. When child support is not paid, you may be able to secure an income withholding order to get a portion of the noncustodial parent’s wages or other income. A court may also find a nonpayer in contempt and impose penalties, including possible jail time.

Call for a thorough child support case evaluation today

Located in Willmar, Minnesota, Anderson Larson is unmatched in its dedication to giving you quality legal services and value for your money. Flexible scheduling, including weekend and evening appointments, is available. Call 320-235-4313 or contact us online today for an appointment.